Who is the woman in my kitchen? For many years my mother was the woman in my kitchen. My mother...not only taught me my eating habits, but also how to make cornbread, and insisted on feeding me bell peppers even though I so detested them and fought her like Conan the Barbarian. My mother taught me good habits and bad. Mom and I still discuss the heavy stuff in the kitchen like church, boyfriends, family, the latest neighborhood events, and dog training....
She is still a huge influence in my life but I have followed my own path, have my own opinions, and have my own passions... not only for food, but for life, for spirit, for friends, and even my own struggles and events in my neighborhood.
As for food--I like eating it and cooking it. I even like shopping for it on some weird level. It's almost spiritual, almost Zen. It’s not the grocery market that I like, it’s the ritual of finding a recipe that sounds delish, making a list, finding ingredients (hopefully on sale), coming up with a side dish or integrating whatever it is into my whole day, spending the time preparing the ingredients, then putting everything together in such a way they blend and magically turn into curry chicken or yellow squash casserole.
Now that I am the woman in my kitchen cooking is both a ritual and a frustrating journey. My food philosophy isn’t limited by denial… truth is I like to eat, and I like to eat what I like to eat. I tried that raw vegan thing, plain old vegetarian, super low carb (almost exclusively meat), low carb/low sugar, no sugar, low fat, low calorie... if you can come up with a program I've probably tried it. I admit it.... I’m still fat, miserable, and suffering from health problems that I don’t like to focus on but that often govern my choices.
She is still a huge influence in my life but I have followed my own path, have my own opinions, and have my own passions... not only for food, but for life, for spirit, for friends, and even my own struggles and events in my neighborhood.
As for food--I like eating it and cooking it. I even like shopping for it on some weird level. It's almost spiritual, almost Zen. It’s not the grocery market that I like, it’s the ritual of finding a recipe that sounds delish, making a list, finding ingredients (hopefully on sale), coming up with a side dish or integrating whatever it is into my whole day, spending the time preparing the ingredients, then putting everything together in such a way they blend and magically turn into curry chicken or yellow squash casserole.
Now that I am the woman in my kitchen cooking is both a ritual and a frustrating journey. My food philosophy isn’t limited by denial… truth is I like to eat, and I like to eat what I like to eat. I tried that raw vegan thing, plain old vegetarian, super low carb (almost exclusively meat), low carb/low sugar, no sugar, low fat, low calorie... if you can come up with a program I've probably tried it. I admit it.... I’m still fat, miserable, and suffering from health problems that I don’t like to focus on but that often govern my choices.
In this blog you'll find The Woman in My Kitchen is part agony aunt, part humorist, an aspiring gardener, part spiritualist, part ranty dieter, and completely insane. I’m on a journey here not only to untangle information I can find about our nation’s food supply, and what’s good nutrition, but the struggles of growing your own food, the infuriating parts of dating and limitations of my current career choices,along with life as I know it and some of the things I've learned as a veteran, childless, divorced broad with a spoiled little dog searching for answers in the big bad world. Take a seat, have a drink, and let's get to know each other.
No comments:
Post a Comment